The Kwara State Government has disclosed that a total of N6.5billion had been expended on the Ilorin water reticulation project since the project commenced in 2009.
The Permanent Secretary of the State Ministry of Water Resources, Mr Afolabi Ezekiel disclosed this while giving a status report of the project at a press conference in Ilorin on Friday.
He said the sum of N3.736billion was spent during the previous administration of Dr Bukola Saraki, while the present administration had so far spent N2.395billion on the project, and another N858million under the State Infrastructure Development Fund (IF-K).
Afolabi further disclosed that the project which was supposed to be completed in two years was extended by funding challenging, ROYAL NEWS reports.
Furthermore, he noted that the present administration has made the last payment for the completion of the secondary reticulation, stressing that the next phase of the project which is the tertiary reticulation that will take water into houses has been captured in the 2018 budget.
Also speaking, the project Consultant and Chief Executive Officer of CEWAT Engineering, Professor Sulyman Adeyemi assured Ilorin residents of regular supply of potable water in their neighborhood next September when the secondary reticulation would have been completed.
He disclosed that the present administration will soon award the contract for the 305km tertiary distribution network, which will extend water supply to homes.
Prof. Adeyemi said the Ilorin Water supply scheme now comprises a water treatment plant of double capacity, new water transmission mains, new principal distribution network and water storage facilities that cover the Ilorin Metropolis.
He added that after completion of the secondary tertiary reticulation, water will be supplied to 48,000 houses in the metropolis from the 3,000 active households presently being served while tertiary reticulation will extend supply to 105,000 homes when completed.
Also speaking, the General Manager of the State Water Corporation, Alhaji Tunde Yahaya, disclosed that the government is carrying out repairs on various water works across the state. He said Agba dam, Sobi dam, Oyun, Ojoku and Omu Aran waterworks are among those currently under repair.
The GM disclosed that the state government earmarked N500m in the 2018 budget for the rehabilitation exercise.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note