Kwara State has officially been designated a test centre for COVID-19 pandemic by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), according to the chairman of the state’s medical advisory on COVID-19, Dr Femi Oladiji.
Oladiji said in a statement that the NCDC has approved the automated GeneXpert laboratory, which is stationed at the COVID-19/Infectious Diseases Centre Alagbado Ilorin, which is now fully functional.
“Another COVID-19 molecular and research laboratory is proposed at the Harmony Advanced Diagnostic Centre which will utilise Reverse transcription and PCR in real-time quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR).
“The GeneXpert machine has been accredited by the NCDC and is now officially functional in Kwara State,” he said.
According to him, “A review to assess the diagnostic accuracy of GeneXpert found that when used as an initial test, it had pooled sensitivity of 89% and specificity of 99% compared to sensitivity of 98% and specificity of 99% for RT-qPCR at standard formats.
“The GeneXpert tests will let us make quicker decisions about whether to quarantine or isolate individuals who show up with or without potential symptoms related to COVID-19. Hospital management staff will also be able to make rapid decisions about the best way to use resources, such as respiratory equipment.
“This is a huge success for the government and people of the state. It is also a huge investment by the government and I must thank the Governor for this feat. With the NCDC certification of this GeneXpert facility, it would go a long way in the fight against this pandemic in the state.”
- Kwara govt set to sanction owned-tertiary institutions over unlawful recruitments
- Why I stripped naked to pray for Tinubu’ victory– Olaiya Igwe
- Labour Party suspends Arabambi over anti-party activities
- Asake apologizes for appearance at Birmingham shpw
- How I became Radio Presenter, Event Entertainer — Omo Culture
- Gov. Sanni Bello’s Spokesperson, Noel-Berje bags Media Personality Award
- Bandits tackles FG, military of ‘benefitting from insecurity’
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection