A traditional ruler in Kwara State, Olusin of Ijara-Isin, Oba Demola Ajibola, has introduced his own ‘currency’ to serve as Legal Tender in his community.
This, he targets to drive economic empowerment in the rural community.
Checks revealed that the currency which is in form of a voucher with the inscription: ‘TLK voucher’, is a legal tender within the Ijara-Isin community since August 2021.
The ruler would visit the Oja Oba market once every week to share the vouchers with market women and other commuters.
However, under strict instructions by the traditional ruler, the vouchers cannot be exchanged for Nigerian Naira but used to buy food items within the community.
Some economic experts commended the initiative as a palliative for the economic hardship in Nigeria but others are concerned about the king’s decision to create another means of legal tender within the country.
According to the National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), over 91 million persons live in absolute poverty in Nigeria, fueled by a 20 percent inflation in food prices.
Those who favour the initiative say that the monarch has been able to successfully solve the problem of cash inflow in the community. In many rural communities like Ijara-Isin, citizens have to travel large distances and pay extra charges for withdrawals from mobile bank agents and Point-of-Sale (POS) operators who offer cash-back services.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Cameroon seeks AIB-N support on aircraft accident investigation
- Professionalism, training motivation, support are catalyst for transformed education system– Stakeholders
- Emir Sulu-Gambari prays for Doyen of Geology, Prof. Oyawoye at 95
- Again, Buhari urges ASUU to call off strike
- Kwara Govt secondary school without classrooms
- NBA lauds Bala Mohammed for signing judiciary autonomy bill into law
- APC Chieftain lauds Faleke’s appointment as Secretary of APC Presidential Campaign
- Transform Raw Materials To Finished and Revenue Generating Product – FG
- Afritel trains journalists on good governance, accountability reporting
- Soludo suspends LG chairman over wife’s death