The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in Kwara state today dissociated itself from the purported endorsement of Senator Ali Modu Sheriff as the national chairman of the party by the forum of states chairmen of the party.
The party made the clarification in a statement signed by its chairman. Prince Sunday Fagbemi, a copy of which was made available to ROYAL NEWS in Ilorin.
Fagbemi said the decision to distance the state’s chapter of PDP from the purported endorsement of Sheriff was reached at a meeting of the state executive council of the party held on Wednesday at its secretariat in Ilorin, the state capital.
He said the party’s executives in the state at the meeting also reiterated their support and that of the supporters of the party in the state for the Senator Ahmed Makarfi -led national caretaker committee of the PDP.
The statement reads in part: “Kwara state PDP wishes to make it categorically clear that we were not a party to the declaration of the so-called states PDP chairmen forum whose members are known as one form chairman . They are illegitimate.
“For the umpteenth time, the Kwara PDP, its leaders and supporters are saying that we are solidly behind the senator Ahmed Makarfi -led national caretaker committee of our great party.
“We have absolute confidence in the ability of the members of the committee to provide a purposeful leadership for our party as well pilot its affairs in such way that the party will be returned to power at the federal level in 2019.
“Senator Makarfi and his acolytes loyal and dedicated party men who are desirous of returning PDP to its wining streak.”
- Kashim Shettima delivers Al-Hikmah convocation lecture
- (PHOTOS) IGP Egbetokun, Amb. Sulu-Gambari, others bag Al-Hikmah Ph.D
- AMR’ll account for 10 million annual deaths by 2050- WHO
- ANHEJ advocates for increased budgetary allocation to health sector
- Emir Sulu-Gambari hosts Kauran Namoda, Imo monarchs in Ilorin (PHOTOS)
- PHOTO NEWS: EFCC Ilorin zonal organises road-walk against corruption
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List