The Kwara State House of Assembly has enjoined the State Government to draw the attention of the Federal Government to the invasion of Crop Farms in the State, with a view of collaborating with the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in combating the problem.
This is part of the resolutions of the House in its Tuesday’s Sitting, while considering a motion titled “Invasion of Crop Farms by Pests in Kwara State” sponsored by a member representing Kaiama/Kemanji/ Wajibe Constituency Hon. Ahmed Ibn Mohammed.
Reading the resolutions of the House, the Deputy Speaker, Elder Mathew Okedare who presided over the sitting, said the need became imperative, in view of the huge loss of farm produce lost to invasion of pests on farm lands in the State.
The Legislature equally urged the State Government to assist the affected Farmers, through provision of pesticides to forestall reoccurrence in the State.
Hon. Ibn Mohammed had while raising the motion, narrated the ordeal of the affected farmers since last year ,pointing out that most of them accessed bank loan to embark on the farming and appealed to the House to call on the relevant authority to wade in with a view to finding enduring solutions to the problem.
Other members who spoke on the motion among other things identified the causes and called for appropriate pro active measures, from the state government to tackle the problem once and for all.
The House also at its sitting called on the state government to direct relevant government agencies to come to the aid of victims of rainstorm and fire outbreak in Oyun and Offa Local Government Areas to alleviate their sufferings.
This followed a Matter of urgent Public Importance raised by a member representing Oke Ogun Constituency, Barrister Kamaldeen Fagbemi on the rainstorm and fire outbreak in the affected areas.
Meanwhile, the House has received
an executive bill seeking to amend the Abubakar Sola Saraki University Law No 13 of 2008 (as amended) to provide for representation of the office of State Attorney General in the membership of the University’s Governing Council, from the State Governor, Alhaji Abdul Fatah Ahmed, for passage into law.
- Photo News: ROYAL NEWS 10th anniversary, public lecture, book presentation
- Court grants ex-AGF, Adoke permission to celebrate Xmas with family in Dubai
- NJC recommends compulsory retirement of Osun High Court Judge, orders probe into 51 petitions against others
- UNESCO Inscribes Sango Festival in World Heritage List
- TESCOM: 7, 241 Oyo Teachers, Non-Teaching Staff Write 2022 Promotion Exams
- FG promotes 30 directorate cadre, others in Police Affairs Ministry
- 2024 budget: Army mulls unmanned aerial vehicle command
- Alleged Abduction: EFCC, DSS Risk Contempt Proceedings In Court Over Emefiele
- Senate frowns as NCoS feeds dogs better than inmates
- NAPTIP laments tracking machine as woman sells 120 children