Kwara State Internal Revenue Service (KWIRS) has said that present socioeconomic situations and political pressures in the state have posed challenges against realizing set target of N30 billion annually.
Speaking at a media briefing on activities of the state government agency in Ilorin on Tuesday, the Executive Chairman of KWIRS, Dr. Murtala Awodun, said that record of performance for 2017 had showed that the N30 billion annual target was realisable.
Dr. Awodun, who said that the agency realized a sum of N18.2 billion as opposed to a total of N17.2 billion in 2016, added that, “our target is to hit N24 billion. However, we are hoping to hit N20 billion at the end of 2017. There’s nothing stopping the state from hitting N30 billion annually”.
The KWIRS boss linked some of the challenges facing the establishment to the recent local government elections in the state, saying that the election, which was postponed on three occasions, affected operations and fortune of the agency.
He explained that the agency had to relax its operations during the election period to discourage possible allegations of blackmail against the government establishment.
Dr. Awodun, who also said that the agency was being considerate and sensitive to current socioeconomic plight and conditions of the people in the state, added that there should be significant improvement in tax payment of the needed infrastructure is available.
He also talked about challenges of the single treasury account TSA, identification and enumeration of taxable adults and corporate entities.
The KWIRS boss said that people did not willingly pay tax in the state, adding that the agency had resorted to waiting for them to come for government services to ask for the payment of their tax.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Zamfara Gov, Bello Matawalle urges traditional rulers to tackle insecurity
- 2023: Kogi delegates shock Ameachi after requesting Yahaya Bello to stepdown ambition
- KWACCIMA collaborates with EFCC for corrupt-free business environment
- NCoS Controller advises officers to show good character, be dedicated
- Education, short road to peace, freedom—NIREC
- Cultist suspect who killed to gain promotion, women, others remanded in prison
- Don’t hold rallies in Abia, IPOB warns APC aspirant
- FG committed to protecting Nigerians from harmful use of data- Pantami
- Lagos Govt. says June 1 deadline won’t stop enforcement on Okada ban
- NAF free medical outreach excites Kaduna residents