Authority of the National Inland Waterways Agency, (NIWA), has been urged to mandate the usage of life jackets by passengers travelling on canoes and boats.
A member representing Edu constituency in the Kwara State House of Assembly, Alhaji Isiyaku Adams, stated this on Thursday while moving a motion of public importance on the need to avert future recurrence of boat mishaps in Lafiagi.
It would be recalled that no fewer than 20 people died in the recent boat mishaps which occurred in Lafiagi, Edu Local Government Area of the state.
According to him, “We are aware that whenever such disasters occur, the government, particularly through the National Emergency Management Agency,(NEMA), and the Kwara State Emergency and Relief Services Agency usually provide succour to the victims.”
The lawmaker who expressed worries over the death of the victims who are majorly women and children said: “There is need to call on the National Inland Waterways Agency to ensure that no boat or canoe is over loaded to prevent future mishaps.”
He however requested the assembly to constitute a committee to pay a condolence visit to the Emir of Lafiagi and the family of the victims.
In his remarks, the Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Dr. Ali Ahmad, accepted the motion adding that the state assembly will ensure that a resolution is passed for the motion to become a law in the state.
- PHOTO NEWS: PHOTO: EKITI DISCHARGES ONLY COVID-19 PATIENT
- FG appeals to Nigerians to comply with restrictions order
- Reps donate two months salaries to fight against Covid-19
- FAYEMI NAMES COMMITTEE MEMBERS FOR COVID-19 SUPPORT ACCOUNT
- BREAKING….. COVID-19: Kwara shuts borders, to fumigate markets
- COVID-19: Shi’ite members make fresh demands from FG on El-zakyzaky, wife (FULL STATEMENT)
- Dr. Alfa Sa’adu’s death: We’ve lost another irreplaceable asset— Emir of Ilorin
- 37yr-old France returnee becomes first COVID-19 victim in S/Leone
- SAD….COVID-19 kills 12yr-old girl
- CBN suspends cheque clearing till further notice
News2 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
Education4 months ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
News10 months ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
Politics4 months ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)
Politics5 months ago
EXPOSED…. Why Kwara Governor wants more women in his cabinet— Ajadi
Politics3 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
Politics10 months ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen