Authority of the National Inland Waterways Agency, (NIWA), has been urged to mandate the usage of life jackets by passengers travelling on canoes and boats.
A member representing Edu constituency in the Kwara State House of Assembly, Alhaji Isiyaku Adams, stated this on Thursday while moving a motion of public importance on the need to avert future recurrence of boat mishaps in Lafiagi.
It would be recalled that no fewer than 20 people died in the recent boat mishaps which occurred in Lafiagi, Edu Local Government Area of the state.
According to him, “We are aware that whenever such disasters occur, the government, particularly through the National Emergency Management Agency,(NEMA), and the Kwara State Emergency and Relief Services Agency usually provide succour to the victims.”
The lawmaker who expressed worries over the death of the victims who are majorly women and children said: “There is need to call on the National Inland Waterways Agency to ensure that no boat or canoe is over loaded to prevent future mishaps.”
He however requested the assembly to constitute a committee to pay a condolence visit to the Emir of Lafiagi and the family of the victims.
In his remarks, the Speaker of the Kwara State House of Assembly, Dr. Ali Ahmad, accepted the motion adding that the state assembly will ensure that a resolution is passed for the motion to become a law in the state.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Emir Sulu-Gambari set to install Balogun Gambari as most senior counsellor in Ilorin Emirate
- Divorce: JJC Skillz divorces Nollywood Star, Funke Akindele
- Gov Zulum directs promotion of deserving civil servants
- Kano APC Senator, Shekarau finally defects to NNPP
- Senate Confirms Buhari 7 Ministerial Norminees
- Fraud: Senate summons NIA boss over N/Delta activists’ blacklist by DSS
- Organ harvesting: Senate delegation to visit Ekweremadu, wife in London
- Ado-Ekiti Yahoo-Boy Jailed Two Years for Scam, Loses N13m Car to FG
- Money-politics affecting Nigeria’s political processes— Ex-Minister
- Kwara monarch introduces new currency for business activities in own community