Kwara State Government has begun intensive surveillance and screenings at its land borders and the Ilorin International Airports to check the spread of Lassa fever into the state, calling on the public to be vigilant and report any suspicious cases at the nearest health centres.
“Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq has since directed that we should intensify surveillance and screening at our borders and at the Airport. We are working with the port health authorities to ensure that any foreigner or travellers coming to Kwara State is screened before entering the state,” Kwara State Health Commissioner Raji Rasaq told a news briefing in Ilorin, the state capital.
Rasaq said the government has also completed the construction of an isolation centre and activated State Epidemic Preparedness and Response, Rapid Response Teams and Incident Command System at the Kwara State Emergency Operation Centre to coordinate any outbreak of the disease currently ravaging some states.
“The disease has remained a public health challenge and has affected some states. We do not have any case in the state but it is important to be prepared,” he said.
“We have also designated an isolation centre for Lassa fever clinical management in Sobi Specialist Hospital, Ilorin and make available response commodities and medicines.”
He urged residents of the state to adopt regular hand washing, proper cleaning of surroundings and household items. Rasaq also called on residents of the state to keep their food items in good and hygienic conditions.
The Commissioner also encouraged residents to eliminate rats in their homes and communities as well as desist from using bare hands to touch the trapped rats.
Dr Rasaq promised that the state would continue to sensitise all health workers to have high index of suspicion and adhere strictly to standard precautions while providing care to the patients.
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai
- Peter Obi appeals for calm over cash crunch, challenges banks
- How I confronted insurgency as COAS – Buratai
- Kwara Speaker celebrates Gov. Abdulrazaq at 63
- 2023 polls: Buratai solicits support for Tinubu, APC
- CAN felicitates Kwara Gov., AbdulRazaq at 63
- Breaking …New Emir emerged in Dutse, Muhammadu Hameem
- Lawan, Gbajabiamila sued over failure to cut N228.1bn NASS budget