There was no love lost between the two sides, making it a stop-start match due to the 23 fouls committed all over the pitch, but Erik ten Hag and his side won’t care, with the victory moving them wihin five points of Premier League leaders Arsenal.
The home side had an early chance to open up the scoring after Patrick’s Bamford pass was poked away from goal by David De Gea straight into the path of a wide open Crysencio Summerville, who could only blast his shot over the bar.
Leeds had another chance late in the half, with Summerville lashing an on-target strike from a tight angle.
De Gea once again managed the save, with the ball hitting Harry Maguire before landing again to Summerville, who was unable to get a shot off before it was cleared.
In added time of the half, Bruno Fernandes pounced on a mistake by Maximilian Wober, but after the Portuguese rushed towards goal, his shot was stopped by Illan Meslier.
The home side started the second half strongly, with several chances just landing wide. Jack Harrison’s first-time shot after a Harry Maguire mistake petered just off-target, while Luke Ayling’s half-volley was deflected onto the wrong side of the post.
Later in the half, Diogo Dalot hit a shot that slammed off the crossbar, with Meslier’s feet rooted to the spot.
In the 80th minute, Marcel Sabitzer drilled the ball to Luke Shaw who managed to whip a cross into the box. Rashford, who was relatively free in the area, rose and headed it straight into the back of the net to score his 21st goal in all competitions this season.
Five minutes later, substitute Alejandro Garnacho doubled the score after the Wout Weghorst pokes forward the ball for the youngster. He manages to get around a defender, and pick out the far bottom corner to secure United’s second.
Up next, Leeds will continue to look for points to avoid the drop against fellow relegation battlers Everton, while Manchester United will turn their focus to the first leg of their Europa League tie against Barcelona at the Camp Nou.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo