Political parties participating in the forthcoming local government election in Kwara state on Tuesday signed an undertaking of commitment to peaceful election, ROYAL NEWS reports.
The state Independent Electoral Commission (KWSIEC) in conjunction with security agencies in the state, had resolved that the parties will signed the undertakings as part of arrangements to ensure a violent free election.
Speaking before the signing of the agreement by representatives of the parties participating in the election, KWSIEC’s chairman, Dr Usman Ajidagba said peace is essential to a free and fair election.
He said the decision to make the parties sign the undertaking was taken after it was observed that some politicians were making utterances that are inciting and could cause the election being greeted with violence.
Ajidagba who said the electoral body was prepared to conduct a free, fair and credible election urged participating political parties to cooperate with the body by being peaceful.
Also speaking, the state police commissioner who doubles as the chairman of the election security inter-agencies consultative forum, CP Lawan Ado said the forum was committed to maintenance of peace and order before,during and after the election.
He advised that any party or candidate who has any security related issue on the election should bring it up so that it could be addressed to ensure a peaceful poll.
The police boss who said that security agents were ready to provide a level-playing field for all the parties asked the parties to ensure they produce accredited representatives at polling, ward and local government collation centres to aid proper monitoring of the election.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector