Liverpool’s new midfield signing Thiago Alcantara has tested positive for COVID-19 and is self-isolating with minor symptoms, the reigning English Premier League (EPL) champions said on Tuesday.
The Spaniard joined from Bayern Munich earlier this month and made his debut in their 2-0 win over Chelsea.
He has now been ruled out of their next two games after missing Monday’s 3-1 victory over Arsenal at Anfield.
“It is the choice of each individual whether they reveal publicly the outcome of a COVID-19 test,” Liverpool’s first-team doctor Jim Moxon said in a statement.
“We have followed all the protocols to the letter and Thiago is OK. He will be self-isolating now as per the guidelines and hopefully he’ll be back with us soon.”
Liverpool will host Arsenal in the last 16 round of the English League Cup on Thursday and return to league action on Sunday with a trip to Aston Villa.
Spain manager Luis Enrique is due to announce his squad for this month’s matches with Portugal, Switzerland and Ukraine.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Nigeria in Calamitous situation over oil theft, vandalism, others — NNPCL
- Minister, others reject Senate’s bill on proposed innovation agency
- Senate urges FG to protect shorelines at Bayelsa communities
- Senate suspends report on vacation of citizen’s watchlist by DSS
- Senate directs NLNG to pay host communities N18.4bn compensation
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation