Governments at all levels have been urged to embark on desirable programmes that will further improve on the wellbeing of the people of the nation.
A social entrepreneur, Alhaji Yakubu Gobir stated this in Ilorin the Kwara State capital on Saturday while speaking with journalists shortly after casting his vote in the local government elections held across the 16 local government areas in the state.
He noted that “There is need for the national assembly to pass the bill that will ensure local government autonomy law in order to enhance their ability to perform and the deliver the dividends of democracy to the people of rural communities.
“By the time the funds meant for local government areas are made available to them directly, more projects would be done while many empowerment platforms would be created at the grassroot level which will definitely reflect the genuine presence of government therein.
“I am also of the opinion that the ruling All Progress Congress, (APC) should always provide mechanism that will provide feedback process from the electorates as part of measures towards strengthening the nation’s nascent democracy for the benefit of the masses. This will no doubt expose many yearnings of the downtrodden to the government thereby accelerating policy formulation and implementation processes.”
Speaking further, Gobir who is also the Waziri Hausa commended the people of the state for trooping out to vote for candidates of their choice according to their conscience peacefully stressing that, “It is a good development for the growth of democratic practice in our country.
He said: “The peace conduct of the local government elections in Kwara State will also serve as wake-up call the state government to make some improvements where necessary as well as serve as searchlight to some states that will be conducting such election soon.”
Gobir therefore advised the Kwara State Independent Electoral Commission, (KWSIEC) to consider usage of modern technological devices such as card reader among others in the conduct of future elections.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note