The Ilorin Zonal Office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission ( EFCC) on Thursday 13th of August 2020 secured the conviction of one Kolade Emmanuel Balogun who was prosecuted for internet fraud and fraud related Offences.
Balogun was convicted by Justice Sikiru Oyinloye of a Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin following his arraignment by the anti graft body.
The charge reads “That you, KOLADE BALOGUN (a.k.a William Davis, alias Behemooth) sometime in March, 2020 or thereabout at Ilorin, Kwara State within the jurisdiction of this Honourable Court attempted to commit an offence of cheating by personation by pretending and representing yourself to be a white man called William Davis, alias Behemooth to unsuspected white woman on dating site called SeekingArrangement as it is contained in your gmail account: Willamdavis@gmail.com and thereby committed an offence contrary to and punishable under Section 95 of the Penal Code Law of Northern Nigeria”
When the charge was read to the Accused Person, Balogun pleaded guilty.
Prosecuting Counsel, Aliyu Adebayo in his submission asked the Court to convict the defendant based on his plea, proof of evidence and Exhibits tendered.
Defence Counsel, Rotimi Oyagbola urged the Presiding Judge to temper Justice with mercy, arguing that the his client is a first time offender.
Justice Oyinloye in his Judgement said the prosecution had proved its case beyond reasonable doubt considering the unchallenged and uncontradicted testimonies of the prosecution witness.
The Judge said the convict should pay a fine of fifty thousand naira and to also control traffic at the Junction behind the Kwara State Ministry of Physical Planning for three months commencing from 17th of August to 17th of October 2020.
He ordered that his items like phones and laptops recovered from him to be forfeited to the Federal Government.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo