The National Working Committee of the Social Democratic Party, (SDP), has endorsed the adoption of Seyi Makinde of the Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), as the joint governorship candidate of the opposition parties in Oyo State.
According to a statement issued on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alfa Mohammed, the decision was taken at a meeting of the party’s NWC presided over by its national chairman, Chief Supo Shonibare, in Abuja.
Mohammed quoted Shonibare as commending the SDP governorship candidate in the state, Chief Bolaji Ayorinde, for his decision to step down for the joint candidate of opposition parties in the state.
He said Ayorinde and other candidates who stepped down showed that the larger interest of the people of the state matters most to them.
He said from what he knew of Makinde while he was in the SDP, he was the best candidate the people of the state desired at this critical period.
He further observed that participation of multiple opposition candidates in the governorship race would have granted the All Progressives Congress government the usual advantage it needeto remainin in power in the state.
The statement read, “SDP therefore urges members all over Oyo State and the good people in the state in general to take their destiny in their hands by voting for the adopted candidate – Seyi Makinde for the position of governor of Oyo State.
“Meanwhile, we also urge our members and the good people of Oyo State to support and vote for the SDP candidates for the state House of Assembly elections to ensure their victory and to enable us usher in a coalition government in Oyo State, so that the state may be liberated from poverty, unemployment and insecurity.”
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note