A married father-of-three has died after being shot dead in Rivers State and his brother claims he was killed by a police officer over bail money.
Abiodun Jimoh, an Onne-based Intels staff from Kwara state, died on Friday, December 18, 2020.
According to PM News, his brother, Ismail Jimoh said police officers on patrol stopped them while they were on a motorbike going back to the house on Friday 18 December 2020.
Ismail said the police officers searched him and his brother and saw nothing incriminating. They only had on them their ID cards and iPhone and other handsets.
He said one of the police officers insisted on taking them to the Police station at Elelenwo in Rivers State.
Ismail said he rode on the motorbike and stayed in front, while his brother was inside the Police patrol van as they headed to the station.
When they reached the station, one of the police officers asked them to bail themselves, despite police authorities saying “bail is free”.
Ismail said his brother pleaded with the officer that they had only N1,500 left.
According to Ismail, other Police officers told the officer who allegedly shot his brother to let them go, since nothing incriminating was found on them. But the officer refused.
Ismail alleged that the police sergeant, attached to Elelewon Police Divisional headquarters at Obio-Akpor LGA of Rivers State, began to beat his brother in front of the Police station.
As the alleged beating continued, he said he heard two gunshots. When he turned back, his brother was lying on the floor, in pains.
According to Ismail, he and the other Police Officers took his brother to three different hospitals, but they refused to attend to him.
Ismail said that on their way to University of Port Harcourt Hospital (UPTH), the officers drove so recklessly that he (Ismail) fell out from the back of the patrol van and was seriously injured.
He further alleged that the Police officers did not wait to check on him, instead they drove off with his brother.
He said that on the morning of 19 December, he went back to the Elelewon station with his brother’s wife and was told his brother has died.
Ismail called on well-meaning Nigerians to ensure justice is served.
Azeezat Omolara Jimoh, wife of Abiodun Jimoh wept uncontrollably while speaking to Journalists. She said that her husband was killed for no reason and she wants justice.
A human rights activist, Prince Wiro, called on the Commissioner of Police, Joseph Mukan, to immediately open an investigation into the incident and prosecute any of his officers found culpable.
Copyright 2020 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Contact: [email protected]
- Police officer accused of torturing UNILAG student to coma
- Snoop Dogg ‘lobbying’ President Donald Trump to pardon Death Row Records co-founder Michael ‘Harry-O Harris
- AC Milan confirm signing of striker Mario Mandzukic, hand him the iconic No 9 shirt for this season
- “It is sad that today, our own is the number one man, yet we are the most backward and the worst victims of senseless killings & terrorism” – Yerima Shettima
- Nigerian lady shares photos of the car and house she surprised her husband with
- Medical doctor shares photos of an apartment in Ibadan going for N700K
- “I made my momma so proud she cried” – UNIZIK medical graduate celebrates
- Nigerian dad buys his 6-year-old son PS5 on his birthday for beating cancer twice during the COVID-19 pandemic (photos)
- Sokoto Central Market gutted by fire (videos)
- APC was a hurried arrangement formed to take power when the then government was drifting – Okorocha
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- News1 year ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Metro10 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics1 year ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)