Ahead of the 2019 general elections, 23 members of the House of Representatives are reportedly set to leave the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC).
Daily trust reports that the prospective defectors wanted to leave because over alleged plans by their state governors to manipulate elections to favour their anointed candidates in place of seasoned legislators.
States said to be affected by the planned defection include Gombe, Benue, Kogi, Enugu, Ekiti, Anambra, Cross River, and others whose lawmakers are at loggerheads with their governors.
A source involved in the planned defection said this was a testament that all was not well in the PDP. The source also said the APC was promising automatic tickets for the aggrieved members.
The source said: “We want to leave not because it is our wish but the governors have pushed us to the wall.
“We have fought physically and mentally to defend the PDP and democracy. Despite our commitment to the party, see what the governors are doing to us.”
Meanwhile, report by Vanguard indicates that the battle for tickets in the APC, worsened on Monday, September 10, as different factions in the party across the country took battle positions ahead of the party’s primaries holding later this month. According to the report, the war cries were especially raised in Lagos, Ogun, Ondo, Rivers, Cross River, Delta and Yobe states.
Despite the political tension that enveloped Lagos state in recent days, Governor Akinwunmi Ambode, on Monday, September 10, picked his nomination form for re-election apparently signalling an end to the doubts about his second term.
His re-election bid had kept political stakeholders on edge as it was alleged that the national leader of the party, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, had raised the flag against his bid.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal