Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has said that the defection of over 50 federal lawmakers from the All Progressives Congress, APC, to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, will teach political parties to respect their members.
Wike noted that democracy, rule of law and separation of powers had suffered extremely, insisting that the gale of defection since Tuesday was instructive to parties.
The governor said that the mass defection in the National Assembly was also an indication that the will of the people and the liberty of any person to choose the political parties that he wanted to belong remained supreme.
Wike said this on Wednesday through the State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Emma Okah.
“The institutions of democracy, rule of law, separation of powers, etc, have suffered enormously for some time now.
“The development yesterday, wherein people feel that time has come for them to move is very instructive.
“The people’s will must prevail and those who lead must lead with the understanding and appreciation of the fact that the people’s will is supreme.
“So, to all intent and purposes, the liberty of the persons to choose which party they want to belong without fear or favour was put to play.
“For whatever it is worth, political parties will now be a lot more careful on how they treat their members,” he stated.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Gbajabiamila Pledges Timely Passage of 2023 Budget
- Al-Hikmah varsity Founder offers scholarships to late Sheikh Aboto’s children
- Oil theft has put economic diversification under serious threat—-Lawan
- BREAKING…Appeal Court orders ASUU to call off strike
- Buhari makes last budget presentation as president
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week