Media expert harps on importance of free press on democracy
A member of the correspondents’ chapel of the Nigeria Union of Journalists, (NUJ) Kwara State chapter, Oluseyi Dasilva on Wednesday disclosed that free remain an essential campanion for the development of democracy.
He stated this while delivering a keynote address at the Press Club of Bishop Smith Memorial College, Ilorin with the theme: “The role of the media as a bridge between the people and the government calls for freedom as a way of holding government accountable”.
According to him, “Free press guarantees democracy and helps to curb dictatorial tendencies of some rulers who get easily exposed when they attempt to undermine the constitutional rights of their citizens by exposing their illegal acts.”
The media expert further advovated that the Press Clubs in secondary school be given desired freedom to operate as partners in the progress of their schools as a way of teaching them how to be true leaders for the future.
He urge members of the press club and students in general to enlighten their parents and relations to embrace the newly introduced government policies, especially the cashless policy and the ongoing Population and Housing Census, explaining the importance of national head count.
“Nigerians should endure whatever hardship is brought about by the policies adding that the policies are in the best interest of the citizenry.”
Earlier, the Principal, Bishop Smith Memorial College, Senior secondary, Rufus O. Agunbiade, commended the coordinators of the Press club for a job well done in preparing their pupils for an envible future.
He promised to give further support to the press club for them to achieve more as conscience of the society.
ROYAL NEWS reports that highlight of the event marking the 65th year anniversary of the school was the presentation of gifts to deserving students who performed creditably well in article writing contest as well as poems presentation.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Okowa congratulates Adeleke on Appeal Court victory
- Ekweremadu, wife to be sentenced on May 5
- CBN confirms evacuation of banknotes, directs banks to open for weekend operations
- CBN begins monitoring of old notes circulation:
- Ademola Adeleke is the duly elected governor of Osun— Appeal Court
- BREAKING…Appeal court reinstates Adeleke as Osun governor
- Kwara Gov sympathises with residents over rainstorm, flooding incidents
- ICPC arraigns ex-JAMB’s Ojerinde, 4 children over alleged fraud
- World Athletics bans transgender women from women’s competition
- I will run Peter Obi’s model of governance in Abia State – Alex Otti