It says the circumstances preceding the April 20 confrontation led to the decision.
“The circumstances include the conduct of the victim leading up to the incident, the interaction between Mr Tyson and the victim, as well as the requests of both the victim and Mr Tyson that no charges be filed in the case,” District Attorney Stephen M Wagstaffe said.
“We now deem this case to be closed.”
Video of the altercation published last month appears to show Tyson repeatedly hitting a passenger in the seat behind him on a plane.
The incident occurred prior to the flight’s departure out of San Francisco International Airport, the district attorney said.
In a statement last month, representatives for Tyson described the passenger as “aggressive,” saying he “began harassing (Tyson) and threw a water bottle at him while he was in his seat.”
The district attorney’s office says it looked at footage taken by other passengers during its investigation.
It also reviewed incident reports from the San Francisco Police Department and the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office.
The reports said the victim had been drinking and “appeared to be intoxicated,” the district attorney said.
The victim shared “minimal details of the incident” with the officers who responded to the scene that day.
He was treated for injuries that were not life-threatening, the San Francisco Police Department said last month.
Police confirmed two people were detained.
The Brooklyn-born 55-year-old Tyson, who retired from boxing in 2005, returned in 2020 for an exhibition fight with Roy Jones
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Buhari’s Women Affairs Minister, Pauline Tallen, withdraws from Senatorial race
- Stirke: UNILORIN VC sends strong message to FG, ASUU
- Ekiti guber race: I’m committed to APC’s victory at poll—Bamidele
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES