The Director General, Budget Office of the Federation, Minimum wage: FG plans for supplementary budget
Mr Ben Akabueze, has said that the Federal Government may go for supplementary budget to implement the new minimum wage if approved by the law.
Akabueze disclosed this at the Media and CSOs Dialogue on the 2018 budget, on Wednesday in Abuja.
He said that the 2018 budget at present cannot accommodate the proposed minimum wage by the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC).
“When an agreement is reached, the financial implication would be quantified and if need be, there would be a supplementary budget.
“The only provision that exists is what we call public service wage adjustment, but that is barely over N40 billion provided on that line, and that may not be enough to cater for any adjustments that may be necessary.’’
It may be recalled that President Muhammadu Buhari, in November 2017 inaugurated a 30-manTripartite National Minimum Wage Committee, calling on the members to come up with a fair and decent wage for Nigerian workers.
Buhari said that re-negotiation of a new national minimum wage had become imperative because the existing minimum wage instrument had since expired.
“We all know that the last minimum wage instrument has expired.
“It is in recognition of the need to ensure a fair and decent living wage that the Federal Government put in motion necessary mechanisms so that we can today inaugurate this large committee with a big task ahead of you.
“You are all aware that during the period following the increase in petrol pump price in May 2016, a technical committee was established to examine and make recommendations to government.’’
Buhari, at the time said that the measures to be adopted would cushion the envisaged painful effects of the increase on workers and the Nigerian populace at large.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Dancing Senator, Ademola Adeleke declared as authentic Osun PDP candidate
- Hajj: NAHCON inaugurates, screens medical team
- PHOTO NEWS: Faces at NDC security seminar held in Abuja
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders