Instagram celebrity, Ismail Mustapha a.k.a Mompha has been named as a defendant in the amended N157.1million fraud charge filed against an auto dealer, Sarumi Babafemi, alias 606.
While Babafemi had before now been accused by the EFCC of being an agent of fraud suspects named by the United State’s Federal Investigation Bureau (FBI), Mompha on the other hand has been facing a separate 14-count N32.9 billion money laundering charge since November 25, 2019.
In the amended nine-count charge of January 22, 2021 brought against Babafemi and Mompha before Justice Chukwujeku Aneke on Monday February 1, two suspects identified as Ridwan Momodu Allison, a.k.a. Osama (said to be at large) and Richard Ogbah were also listed as defendants.
Babafemi, Mompha, Ridwan and Richard were accused of laundering N157.1 million for Omojadesola Shittu Allison; Olandewaju Oriyomi; Abiola Kayode Ayorinde; Bartholomew Oluchukwu Ezeudoka and Amobi Uchenna E. who reportedly received the sums of N37.6 million; N93 million; N1.5 million and N25 million respectively.
Babafemi and his firms; 606 Autos Ltd, 606 Music Ltd and Splash Off Entertainment Ltd were also accused of concealing and disguising the origins of the funds he allegedly laundered for Mompha and others, an offence which contravened sections 15(2)(b) and 15(3)(a) and were punishable under section 15(3) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act, 2011 (as amended).
The scheduled re-arraignment and trial of Babafemi and his firms on the fresh charge could however not go on after EFCC’s counsel, Ayanfe Ogunshina prayed the court to allow the charge to be read to the defendants so they could take their plea. He also disclosed that one of the witnesses was in court.
The defence counsel, Muiz Banire (SAN) however opposed this on grounds of being served the amended charge in court. He pleaded for time to study the new charges.
Justice Chukwujekwu Aneke who presided over the case, thereafter adjourned it till April 21, 22 and 23.
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house
- NiMet alerts on thick dust haze in Kano, Katsina, others
- Naira redesigned: Maximum cash withdrawal now N100,000
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity