MURIC backs Christian Senate presidency
The Muslim Rights Concern (MURIC) on Wednesday called on all Muslims vying for the Senate Presidency to step down for a Christian counterpart from Southern Nigeria.
Prof. Ishaq Akintola, Executive Director, MURIC, in a statement stated that as a major stakeholder in the affairs of Nigeria, they have followed with keen interest the imbroglio which greeted the Muslim-Muslim ticket and how it ended in Nigeria having a Muslim President-elect and a Muslim Vice President-elect.
He added, “In view of this outcome and considering the multi-religious character of our dear country, Nigeria, it is our considered opinion that the post of senate president should go to a Southern Christian.”
According to him, Nigeria needs the cooperation of both Muslims and Christians, saying that only such collaboration can engender peace and development in the country.
He was of the opinion that Muslims should not take all the top posts despite being the majority group in the country, stressing that Muslims must be ready to share power with their Christian compatriots.
Copyright 2023 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
Download ROYAL NEWS app
- Senate amends ICPC Act, slams 2yr imprisonment on false petitioners
- FG roads: NASS approves Buhari’s request of N16.7bn refund to Borno
- Nnamdi Kanu’s Lawyer To Tinubu: Don’t inherit Buhari’s hostility
- Adegoke’s Murder: Court sentences Adedoyin to death
- Gov Otti reveals plan to recruit 5,000 teachers in Abia
- 10th NASS: Igbo Senate Presidency still alive, says Kalu
- Court sentences Rahmon Adedoyin, 3 others to death
- DSS’ Siege on Our Lagos Office Shocking – EFCC
- Fuel scarcity: KWSG to revoke CoO of erring filling stations
- Gov Abba Yusuf issues executive order to probe Ganduje