The 16 local government councils in Kwara State are to share the sum of N1.150billion while the State Universal Basic Education (SUBEB) is to get N2.150billion out of the N4b loan obtained by the councils to offset part of the arrears owed their staff.
Chairman of the State Association of Local Governments of Nigeria (ALGON), Mr. Joshua Omokanye, made this known while addressing journalists after an emergency meeting of the State Joint Accounts Allocation Committee (JAAC) held on Monday in Ilorin.
Omokanye who also doubles as the Chairman of Oyun LG, said the 16 local councils agreed to access the loan facility to offset part of the arrears owed their workers, pensioners and SUBEB staff.
According to him, the sum of N400million was earmarked to pay LG pensioners. He added that JAAC also agreed that the sum of N300million should go towards paying allowances owed former political office holders at the LG level.
The ALGON chairman said that the payment of part of the arrears owed the workers would ameliorate their sufferings.
The meeting was attended by the chairmen of the 16 local government councils and their treasurers, Permanent Secretary of the State Ministry of Finance and that of Ministry of Local Government and Chieftaincy Affairs as well as the Chairperson of the Local Government Service Commission.
Leaders of labour unions in the State including Nigeria Labour Congress, Nigeria Union of Teachers, Nigerian Union of Local Government Employees, and Trade Union Congress were also present at the meeting.
- Ukraine President Zelensky appoints Oby Ezekwesili as ambassador
- Breaking: Buhari wades into Naira new notes scarcity
- Fuel scarcity worsens, bites harder in FCT
- No new CP in Lagos state, says Police command
- Osun Tribunal: Sanwo-Olu congratulates Oyetola
- New Naira: Tight security at banks against customers’ attack
- Emir of Bauchi’s brother found dead
- PHOTO NEWS: FG empowers women in Kebbi
- Gov. Adeleke reacts to tribunal’s judgement, vows to appeal
- BREAKING….Ademola Adeleke sacked as Osun Governor