The 33rd National Festival for Arts and Culture (NAFEST 2020) got underway in Jos with a command performance by host Plateau State on Sunday night.
ROYAL NEWS reports that weeklong festival, which will end on Saturday, was themed, “COVID-19: Cultural Dynamism”.
ROYAL NEWS reports that the command performance by Plateau cultural troupe showcased the need for Nigerians to embrace peaceful co-existence through dance, music, poems, melodrama and other cultural renditions.
The troupe also sensitized the audience on the need to adhere with COVID-19 pandemic protocols.
Earlier, Otunba Segun Runsewe, Director-General, National Council for Arts and Culture (NCAC), organizer of the annual festival, said Plateau had the best weather with numerous cultural potential capable of attracting tourists.
The Director-General said that the essence of the festival was to enable the participating states to showcase their culture to the world.
He commended Gov. Simon Lalong for the courage exhibited to host the festival amid COVID-19 pandemic and security challenges confronting the state.
“This is the first state to host a big event as this festival amid COVID-19 pandemic, it is quite commendable.
“Jos is the new abroad for us now, considering the cool weather and natural environment, let us all take out time to explore the state,” he said.
Also, Tamwakat Weli, Plateau Commissioner for Tourism, Culture and Hospitality, urged states to also take out time to showcase and market their culture.
Weli commended the state governor for hosting the festival in spite the challenges currently facing the state.
She also appreciated Runsewe’s zeal and innovative spirit in ensuring that the promotion of culture takes the front burner in spite the ravaging COVID-19 pandemic
“Welcome to the cool city of Plateau, the state hosted NAFEST 24 years ago and we thank God it is happening again,” she said.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements