The National Agency for the Prohibition of Trafficking in Persons (NAPTIP) has announced it will engage local town criers to help in spreading its message against human trafficking.
Speaking on Friday, August 13, at the agency’s headquarters in Abuja while hosting a delegation from the International Organisation for Migration led by its Country Chief of Mission, Franz Celestin, NAPTIP’s Head, Press and Public Relations Unit, Stella Nezan, made the revelation in a statement titled, ‘NAPTIP, IOM set to improve collaboration to tackle human trafficking and irregular migration.’
The agency’s Director-General, Basheer Muhammed, represented by Nezan said NAPTIP’s mandates touch various families in the country.
The statement says “I want NAPTIP’s anti-human trafficking messages to be in the minds at the doorsteps of all Nigerians irrespective of their languages and locations. We shall use radio, television, newspapers, social media platforms, Nollywood actors and even local town criers.
“Nigerians need to know more about NAPTIP, the various offences and punishment attached to them as well as the various legislations put in place to protect our citizens from all forms of exploitation.
“Our anti-human trafficking messages must be syndicated to all languages so that everybody can understand it. This will go a long way to reduce the vulnerability of the people.”
Muhammed noted that it is better and more economical to take steps now and sensitize Nigerians rather than to engage in damage control after traffickers must have deceived and trafficked innocent citizens.
- Hypertension, Diabetes, Cancers, Others Responsible for 22% of Premature Deaths—WHO
- Breaking…… Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Croatia knocks out ‘confident’ Brazil from Qatar 2022 Fifa World Cup
- Cashless Policy: CBN meets Senate panel on cash withdrawal limit
- Labour Party sacks publicity secretary, Ogun chapter excos
- NUJ recognises Osoba, Dokpesi, others as icons in media industry
- Newly redesigned Naira now in banks, ready for issuance – Emefiele
- FG develops renewable energy policy to add 30,000MW of electricity
- Buhari congratulates ex-Minister of Defence, Theophilus Danjuma at 85
- Buhari celebrates renowned scholar, Prof. Umaru Shehu at 92