1. The Lagos State Government says it is looking into the demands of the Joint Drivers Welfare Association of Nigeria (JDWAN), with a view to finding permanent solutions to the issues raised. The Special Adviser to the Governor on Transportation, Mr Sola Giwa said in a statement on Monday that it was necessary to address their demands, following the planned seven-day job boycott by the drivers.
Giwa said that the job boycott was as a result of over alleged harassment and extortion by motor parks and garages management personnel across the state.
2. Emotions have been high over the death of Ifeanyi Adeleke, son of popular music artiste, Davido, and his fiancée, Chioma Rowland.
Details of the circumstances surrounding Ifeanyi’s death were still sketchy as of the time of filing this report. However, unconfirmed reports hinted that Davido’s first son drowned in a swimming pool at his residence in the Banana Island area of Lagos State. In a bid to revive him, the three-year-old victim, after being pulled out of the swimming pool, was reportedly rushed to a hospital in the Lekki area of the state, where he was confirmed dead by one of the doctors on duty.
3. Jenifer Bamuturaki, Chief Executive Officer, Uganda Airlines, says the airline will begin flights to Nigeria in December. Bamuturaki disclosed this on Monday during the 18th AKWAABA Africa Travel and Tourism Market held in Lagos. According to her, flights to Lagos will begin before the end of December while flights to Abuja will begin in 2023.
4. Aviation workers have shut down the Murtala Muhammed Airport Lagos Terminal Two as they protest the sacking of their colleagues. Some aviation workers were reportedly fired by Bi-Courtney Aviation Services Limited, hence the demonstration today, November 1. Passengers were stranded Tuesday morning as flight operations were put on hold due to the protest.
5. The spokesperson of the Lagos state police command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, has confirmed that eight of the domestic staff of singer Davido have been brought in for questioning following the drowning of his son, Ifeanyi. Ifeanyi who turned three on October 20, drowned in the swimming pool in the singer’s Banana Island home on Monday, October 31.
Hundeyin said eight of the domestic staff were brought in for questioning today November 1st. He said after investigation, those found not culpable in the unfortunate incident will be released while those found culpable will remain with the police for further investigation.
6. The Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar, has said his counterpart from the All Progressives Congress, APC, Bola Tinubu, can’t buy the Southwest with dollars. Atiku said Tinubu resorted to ethnic politics by visiting one of the leaders of the Yoruba socio-political organization, Afenifere, Pa Reuben Fasoranti. Fasoranti had prayed and given Tinubu his blessing during the meeting.
7. One of the released victims of the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway abduction, Aminat Taiwo, has narrated how her father paid N3.2m to her kidnappers before she was released alongside her friend, Tobi Orekoya. Aminat, who spoke to reporters on Monday, said her father took the ransom to the kidnappers deep in the forest, where they were held.
8. The naira fell to N818/$1 at the parallel market on Monday in Abuja and N815 in Lagos as it continued to lose its value. It was learnt that the naira is currently under high selling pressure in the black market following CBN’s announcement that the newly redesigned naira notes would start circulating in the economy from December 15, 2022.
9. President Muhammadu Buhari is travelling to the United Kingdom for a medical check-up today. The Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, disclosed this on Monday, saying the president will return to the country in the second week of November.
10. The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) yesterday, told a Federal High Court in Kano that Abdulkareem Abdulsalam Zaura (popularly known as AA Zaura), the senatorial candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in Kano central is nowhere to be found for the commencement of his trial.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC