By Hammed Salawu, Minna
The Niger state government is to screen at least 1million cancer patients and treat 20 diagnosed cases annually for the next five years, ROYAL NEWS has gathered.
This is the major plank of a N400million tripartite Memorandum of Understanding MoU signed between the state government, Roche products Limited and RAISE foundation in Minna the state capital on Thursday.
Under the agreement signed for the state government by the Commissioner for Health Dr Mustapha Jibrin, Country Representatives of Roche Products Limited Dr Hammid Oladipo and founder of Raise foundation and wife of the Niger state governor Dr Amina Sani Bello, Niger state government would provide 30% of the total cost while Roche Limited would make available the balance.
The MoU also had a long term goal of establishing ” a functional Cancer center which would be self sustaining ” and possibly a revenue generation unit for the state”.
Speaking after signing the MoU for Raise foundation, Dr Amina Sani Bello described the event as ” historical ” because it was only Niger state that had taken such initiative in Nigeria.
Dr Bello lamented that Cancer care in Nigeria was in a terribly bad shape because of the 6 cancer treatment centres in the country only one was functioning whereas the country had enough highly trained personnel to handle such patients.
She advised the officials of the Ministry of Health who would be in charge of the implementation of MoU ” to ensure there is no road blocks, if there will be challenges they should not be man made”.
Country representative of Roche Products Limited Dr Hamid Oladipo the organisation would also provide capacity and capability building for stakeholders in the state.
Niger state Commissioner for Health Dr Mustapha Jibrin in his address however disclosed that it cost between N5m and N20m to treat one cancer patient which was why it usually had catastrophic effect on the patient.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Foundation produces 65 graduates, gets donation from Davido
- I’ll work with NASS to restructure Nigeria – Atiku
- 2023: I will end banditry in 6 months, says Wike
- Blasphemy: No ‘jungle justice’ in Islam, Group backs Sultan Abubakar
- Prophet Muhammad Was Insulted While Alive, Yet He Didn’t Kill Anybody – Sheikh Gumi
- I’m only PDP presidential aspirant to win APC– Wike
- SOKOTO IMBROGLIO: MURIC CONDEMNS LOOTING, ATTACKS ON CHURCHES
- Kwara Police Spokesman, Ajayi Okasanmi loses father at 84, Gov. Abdulrazaq mourns
- Emefiele quits 2023 presidential race— Source
- 2023: We can’t afford to make mistakes, Saraki tasks Delta delegates