By Hammed Salawu, Minna
The Peoples Democratic Party, (PDP), in Niger state has described as fraudulent, the act of recycling of its former members who defected to the All Progressives Congress, (APC).
The party on Monday also berated the APC over its claim that 34,000 PDP members defected at a “Unity Rally” held last Saturday saying the crowd at the trade fair complex where the rally was held was not up to the figure bandied.
Tanko Beji the state chairman of the party said the APC went about “recycling people” to show that they had gained more converts to their fold.
Addressing a news conference in Minna, Tanko Beji said “It was sad that those that joined the APC way back in 2015 and were unveiled at the Idris Legbo kutigi international conference centre that year were still paraded as new decampees.
“I don’t believe 35,000 people defected that day, you couldn’t have had 35,000 at that Trade Fair Complex, the crowd there was not more than 10,000, some of them were even rented”
He specifically singled out the former deputy chairman of the PDP, Alhaji Yusuf Aminu, from among those that defected saying, “we expected this to happen, he was discovered to be a mole that is why we suspended him from our party. We did a house clearing we saw him as a mole he was more of a liability than asset.
” Anybody who stands for nothing can fall for anything” Tanko Beji declared adding that some of those that defected ” have no principles, they are in politics because of what they can get they cannot withstand the heat”.
The PDP chieftain who declared that the state working committee of the party was intact contrary to the claim by the APC said: “Our party is intact our party is waxing stronger and stronger”.
However the All Progressives Congress also on Monday insisted that 34, 838 PDP members defected to the APC but said ” we did not present 34,000 people on the stage last Saturday”.
The Party Secretary Alhaji Mohammad Liman, said “Those you saw were high profile defectors, some local governments have 2000 defectors”.
Facebook Comments Box
- Naira redesign: Emefiele urges NASS, Nigerians to show understanding
- Fuel scarcity may affect election logistics — INEC
- SAD…. PDP campaign rally turns mourning in Sokoto as Tambuwal’s aide, Aisha Maina dies
- Nigeria attains 100% broadband penetration— Buhari
- UPDATED: Jigawa Govt annouces funeral as Emir of Dutse dies at 78
- Buhari inaugurates 5,700-hectare Irrigation Scheme, pledges more relief for flood victims
- 2023 polls will be the best, Senate President assures EU observers, Kenya’s Raila Odinga
- Ondo PoS operators increase charges over scarce new Naira notes
- Nigeria’s public debt stock increases to N44.06trn in Q3 2022 – NBS
- CBN directs banks to pay customers with ₦100, ₦50, ₦20, over-the-counter