By Hammed Salawu, Minna
Former Nigeria Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), has vowed to support any group that comes out with a template that will ensure the unity and stability of the country.
He said this on Sunday when he received in audience the newly formed Northern Leaders and Stakeholders Assembly (NLSA) led by its Chairman Tanko Yakasai that politics is all about togetherness and betterment of the country.
While aligning himself with the Assembly, General Babangida urged them to interact with politicians across the country irrespective of party affiliations, adding that “they (politicians) know what they need”.
According to General Babangida anything within the context of one Nigeria is noble. I will support and bless what you are doing but you should be fair in your dealings with Nigerians.
“This move has answered my questions and put away my worries about the essence of one Nigeria. The Assembly will go a long way in cementing the unity of the north and indeed Nigeria.”
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of the NLSA Tanko Yakasai said the Assembly’s mission is aimed at promoting the cultural and political unity amongst all northerners.
According to him “this Assembly is political but non partisan. It is political in the sense that the door is opened to all northerners irrespective of their ethnicity, differences of religions and political beliefs or sectional background”
He added that “although the idea to form this body has come when our country is approaching general elections; the formation of the organisation has nothing to do with the elections. We are aiming at something far beyond this year’s electioneering.”
He disclosed further that the Assembly shall not be an affiliate of any particular political party, ethnically based group or religious body.
Facebook Comments Box
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment