By Hammed Salawu, Minna
Former Nigeria Military President, General Ibrahim Babangida (rtd), has vowed to support any group that comes out with a template that will ensure the unity and stability of the country.
He said this on Sunday when he received in audience the newly formed Northern Leaders and Stakeholders Assembly (NLSA) led by its Chairman Tanko Yakasai that politics is all about togetherness and betterment of the country.
While aligning himself with the Assembly, General Babangida urged them to interact with politicians across the country irrespective of party affiliations, adding that “they (politicians) know what they need”.
According to General Babangida anything within the context of one Nigeria is noble. I will support and bless what you are doing but you should be fair in your dealings with Nigerians.
“This move has answered my questions and put away my worries about the essence of one Nigeria. The Assembly will go a long way in cementing the unity of the north and indeed Nigeria.”
Speaking earlier, the Chairman of the NLSA Tanko Yakasai said the Assembly’s mission is aimed at promoting the cultural and political unity amongst all northerners.
According to him “this Assembly is political but non partisan. It is political in the sense that the door is opened to all northerners irrespective of their ethnicity, differences of religions and political beliefs or sectional background”
He added that “although the idea to form this body has come when our country is approaching general elections; the formation of the organisation has nothing to do with the elections. We are aiming at something far beyond this year’s electioneering.”
He disclosed further that the Assembly shall not be an affiliate of any particular political party, ethnically based group or religious body.
Facebook Comments Box
- Respect culture of your host communities– Traditional ruler to corps members
- Court orders INEC to accept Labour Party’s candidates in 24 states
- Kwara Govt engages additional 200 sweepers to improve public hygiene
- El-Rufai insists Aso Rock cabal working against Tinubu, vows to unmask them
- Court dissolves Ganduje’s daughter 16-year-old marriage, orders return of dowry
- 522,000 PVCs uncollected in Edo – INEC
- INEC to conduct mock voter accreditation in Delta
- NSCDC warn officers against careless handling of firearms during elections
- Businesses crumble in Kaduna as traders lament scarcity of new, old naira notes
- Adeleke directs immediate payment of arrears of half salaries for civil servants