He said that such acts constitute impediments in the process of obtaining the passports.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the workshop was organised by officer in-charge of the Zone, the Assistant Comptroller – General of Immigration Service (ACGIS ), Mr Olakunle Osisanya, to brighten- up the officials.
Jere mandated all officers and men working in passport offices to maintain high level of discipline, and professionalism in their conduct.
According to him, NIS executes a lot of statutory functions, among which is the issuance of passport and other travel documents.
He said these statuory functions called for discipline from people within and outside the service.
The comptroller-general said the objective of the workshop was to drive home the need to respect the appointment system, towards achieving excellent service.
He said, “It is with this, among others, that henceforth, entrance into the passport offices would be based strictly on applicant’s ability to provide evidence of appointment and collection dates”.
Jere, who was represented Mrs Modupe Anyalichi, the Deputy Comptroller-General of Immigration Service in- charge of passport and other travel documents, said Nigerians must abide with NIS policies.
The NIS boss told the participants that integrity of the appointment system of dates would be monitored and that any officer caught extorting applicants would face discipline.
He said that the appointment system of dates allows proper queuing management system.
Jere advised applicants that needed to obtain passport to apply well ahead of time to avoid unnecessary anxiety by logging into the NIS portal (www.passport.immigration.gov.ng),
“After the log-in, the applicant should fill the application form, make payment, choose a date and processing centre of their choice.
“The applicant would then proceed to the centre on the choosen date with the required documents’” he said.
While commending ACG, Osisanya and his management team for putting up the training, he advised the participants to take full advantage of the workshop .
NAN reports that other top rank officers at the workshop include Mr Mani Bagiwa, Comptroller, Lagos state command, and the new Comptroller of Murtala Muhammed International Airport command, Mrs Adeola Adesokan.
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated
- How pastors treWe both wept when Sammie Okposo told me how pastors treated him – Apostle Suleman
- My presidential ambition is for Nigeria’s future– Peter Obi
- PDP reschedules campaign flag off in Nasarawa over police permit
- UniAbuja ASUU protest unpaid salaries
- Unilorin V-C extols Prof. Gambari’s virtues @ 78
- EFCC secures 3,328 convictions in 11 months – Chairman
- Buhari condoles with family of Gospel Musician, Sammie Okposo