The Nigerian Labour Congress on Wednesday moved its protest to the National Assembly, Abuja.
Before the Labour Union arrived at the Legislative Houses, security had been beefed up with fierce-looking security agents spread all over the complex.
The human and vehicular traffic was massive with motorists finding it difficult to enter the complex.
The Senate proceedings which already started at about 11.00 with the opening prayer by the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Ibrahim Lawan went into a closed-door session, a few minutes after the NLC arrived at the complex.
Wednesday’s protest was led by the National President, Mr Ayuba Wabba.
Also, the students and their leadership are part of Wednesday’s protest. Other bodies who are present include, the Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU), the Non-Academic Staff Union of Universities, and the leadership of the National Youth Council.
Though the leadership of the National Assembly was yet to address protesters at the time of filing this report, it is recalled that, the NLC which is identifying with ASUU and is, “demanding for replacement of the inconsistent IPPIS with U3PA payment platform; respect/honour collective bargaining agreement that was freely and mutually reached with ASUU”, among others.
Meanwhile the law makers send delegates from the Senate and House of Representatives to address the protestants.
Speaking, Senator Utazi who was among the delegates from the Law makers said that the issue is also bordering the Law makers, adding that the Law makers are fighting the battle with them.
He assured them that the Law makers will make every effort and also do everything possible to settle the lingering ASSU issues.
Finally, the Nigerian Labour Congress leader, Ayuba Waba, appreciated the Law makers and plagues to wait for their next line of action.
Waba further noted that the Minister of Labour said that there movement is unlawful.
He therefore urged the Minister to explain the meaning of that statement.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated