Senate has suspended the consideration of the 2023 budget for the Ministry of Defence over the failure of the minister, Bashir Magashi to honour invitations from its adhoc committee on the resuscitation of Nigerian Navy Ship (NNS Aradu), which is the largest on the fleet of the Navy.
The decision was reached on Tuesday by the Senate Committee on Defence after an interjection by former Senate Leader, Senator Yahaya Abdullahi (APC Kebbi North), while drawing the attention of other members of the committee to an earlier action of the Senate summoning the minister to appear before its adhoc committee to give explanations concerning the Naval ship.
According to Abdullahi, a motion was raised on the floor of the senate chamber in February on the need to resuscitate the NNS Aradu, which is Nigeria’s flagship and most powerful in the fleet of Nigerian Navy.
He reminded the lawmakers that Senate subsequently set up an adhoc committee chaired by him to interface with the minister with a view to finding ways to resuscitate the grounded NNS Aradu.
Senator Abdullahi said the Magashi has refused to honour all the three invitations forwarded to him by his adhoc committee in the last three months.
He informed that the powerful naval ship is owned by only three countries in the world, Germany, Argentina and Nigeria.
According to him, the ship is designed to protect Nigeria’s territorial integrity, pointing out that while other countries have maintained their flagship that represents the strength of the navy, that of Nigeria remained grounded.
Chairman of the Senate Committee on Defence, Senator Aliyu Wamakko, who also spoke extensively on the need to urgently resuscitate the Navy ship, subsequently asked the Minister of Defence to go with the budget and return only after he had cleared himself with the adhoc committee.
- BREAKING… IGP, Usman Baba sentenced to prison
- Arsonists cannot deter us from holding 2023 elections, INEC Chairman
- Bank failure: Depositors’ monies safe– NDIC assures
- FG approves 2-week paternity leave for civil servants
- Labour Party challenges Tinubu to open debate with Peter Obi
- Society for Peace Holds 16th Annual Conference Nov. 30
- If you think migrating legally is good for you, go– Femi Adesina
- Lagos 2023: Two guber candidates step down for Jandor
- Housewife, 20, arrested for allegedly killing her co-wife with pestle in Bauchi
- Buhari’s in-law, Sha’aban resigns from APC