Christians in Northern Nigeria under the aegis of Northern Nigeria Christian Politicians, in Abuja on Saturday demanded that President Muhammadu Buhari should consider appointing more Christians from the region into public offices.
The organisation said that although the President had tried, they are asking for more.
They tabled the demand during a national prayer, award and reception in honour of the Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara and Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Babachir David Lawal.
While presenting an award of appreciation to President Buhari who was represented at the event by Interior Ministry, Abdulrahman Dambazau, a member of the steering committee of NNCP , Dr. Jonathan Zwingina, also urged the President to ensure that northern governors imitate his gesture.
He said, “While we are grateful to Mr. President, we want to encourage him to appoint more christians into public offices, and that he should also urge all northern governors to emulate him,” he said, adding that it is by so doing that true peace and unity can be guaranteed in the region.”
In his keynote address, Anglican Archbishop of Jos, Most Rev. Benjamin Kwashi, called for life imprisonment for public officials who tamper with funds meant for education, health, water and agricultural purposes.
- COAS commissions projects at NAIC Hdqtrs (PHOTOS)
- Senate approves Tinubu’s removal of Irukera as FCCPC boss
- NDDC: Senate rejects Anambra as lawmakers biker over Kogi
- Senate Summons Wike , FCT CP over spate of kidnappings
- Reps Reject NNPCL’s OVH Acquisition Report, Order Fresh Investigation
- NNPCL, OPEC Pledge Collaboration to Attract Investments, Grow Production
- COED Tech. lay-off 95 workers in Enugu over alleged irregularities
- ‘Yahoo Plus’ pushes 27yr-old man to kill father for rituals
- (PHOTOS) Army GOC visits Shehu of Borno, sues for collaboration
- NatureNews Targets 5bn Trees Plantation by 2030, Unveils ‘NaijaGreenProject’ Initiative