The Minister of Transportation, Mr Rotimi Amaechi, on Sunday described the Oct. 21 attack by hoodlums, masquerading as EndSARS protesters, on the Nigerian Ports Authority (NPA) headquarters as disastrous.
During a tour of the NPA headquarters, Amaechi also noted that the perpetrators of the act should be punished.
“The damage is disastrous. No matter how you want to vent your angers over police brutality, you don’t need to destroy people’s properties.
“I was once a student, we did not take laws into our hands even when we were protesting.
“If you remember in 1983, during the time of Babagida and Buhari, we were always on the streets as students, we never took laws into our hands and we never destroyed people’s property.
“During the time of Taiye Solarin, there were national protests, we partook in those protests but we didn’t take laws into our hands.
“It is legitimate to protest and illegitimate to hide under the guise of protests to destroy people’s public properties and the law does not allow closure of highways because there are other road users,” he said.
Amaechi pointed out that he believes this should not just end here because if some people are not punished, some others might want to repeat the crime in future.
On why it took him 32 days to inspect the carnage done to the NPA headquarters, the minister stated that there was no difference between then and now, indicating that he had been briefed by the NPA management.
“I have made decisions that with the level of damage done here, NPA should be able to come forward to cabinet to ask for funds for the reconstruction of the place,” he said.
Contact: [email protected]
- Harry Akande dies at 77
- N100m not paid as ransom to secure release of Chinese — Association
- 18 dead after carbon monoxide leak in China coal mine – Report
- PWDs: CCD urges MDAs in Lagos State to fully implement disability laws
- Air Peace receives another aircraft from C-Check maintenance – Official
- Peace talks: Afghan national reconciliation council holds first meeting
- Ghanaians confident of peaceful general elections
- Ejike Oji wants state govts. to key into FP programmes, develop plan
- Indian minister tests positive after getting COVID-19 vaccine trial dose
- Enugu by-election commences hitch-free, peacefully
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)