By Akin Richy, Osogbo.
The Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) under the leadership of Dr. Ahmed Abubakar Audi mni has collaborated with the Nigeria Financial Intelligence Unit (NFIU) to jointly tackle financial crimes in the country.
This was made known on Friday at a training workshop organised by the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), National Headquarters in collaboration with NFIU at Osun State Command headquarters, Oke Ayepe, Osogbo.
According to a legal officer and member of NFIU committee, Thomas Ogbebor, the unit is aimed at working closely with NSCDC in combating aforementioned crimes which need urgent and national interventions, and sanitize the financial system.
While sensitizing the participants, representatives of NFIU, Mrs Railiana Hashdu and Miss Nafisat Sanni said the unit may instruct or consult with any person or organization for relevant information relating to money laundering, terrorist financing or any other financial crime with a view to taking appropriate action.
Miss Nafisat Sanni highlighted the three traditional core functions the unit performs, These include MONITORING & ANALYSIS, COMPLAINT & PREVENTION INFORMATIONAL COOPERATION AND DATA EXCHANGE.
In his remarks the representative of the State Commandant, Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), Osun State Command, Commandant Emmanuel Ocheja, Deputy Commandant of Corps (DCC) Padonu Augustine lauded the initiative, he described it as a support to intelligence and Investigations.
DCC Padonu also praised the administrative acumen of the Commandant General, Dr Ahmed Abubakar Audi, mni, stressing that the collaboration is capable of contributing meaningfully to tackling financial crimes in the country.
Meanwhile DSC Stephen Oyebode the Forensic Officer, Osun State Command has been appointed as the authorised officer that should be contacted for financial intelligence information that needs collaboration between NSCDC and NFIU.
At the end of the training, a CRIMS (Crime Record Information Management System) Tablet, Emergency Information rRequest Form 010 which is expected to be filled online at the point of arrest and detention were presented to Osun State Command and was received on behalf of the State Commandant Emmanuel Ocheja by DCC Padonu Augustine.
- New Naira notes: Police warn against violence
- Agriculture contributes 23.78% to GDP – Minister
- PHOTO NEWS: Peter Obi visits Emir of Ilorin
- 2023 elections: NUT opens up on candidate to vote
- World Cancer Day: DevComms advocate public literacy for earlier detection
- Fuel Scarcity: Transporters Demand Removal of Sylva, Kyari
- APC postpones presidential campaign rally in Oyo indefinitely
- Ibadan records another protest over scarcity of fuel, new naira notes
- Peter Obi arrives Kwara for Presidential Campaign rally (photos)
- 13 parties vow to withdraw from election if new naira deadline extends