Former Governor of Anambra State, Willie Obiano was reportedly arrested by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission for alleged misappropriation of public funds.
Sources told Channels Television that Obiano was arrested for misappropriating N5bn Sure-P and N37 billion Security Vote funds, which was withdrawn in cash.
Part of the funds were also allegedly diverted to finance political activities in the state, the source added.
The former Governor who was reportedly on his way out of the country to Houston, Texas in the United States before being arrested at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport in Lagos, has been moved from Lagos to an EFCC facility in Abuja.
Prior to his arrest, he has been on the Commission’s watchlist for months.
- FG lost N113m over Abuja-Kaduna railway closure – NRC
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus