People of Offa in Offa local government area of Kwara state on Friday stormed Government House, Ilorin to protest the seeming delay in the trial of suspects in the April 5, 2018 armed robbery incident in the ancient city.
It is recalled that 33 persons including policemen were killed by daredevil armed robbers who invaded some conmercual banks in Offa four years ago.
ROYAL NEWS reports that all the five suspects in the 2018 Offa bank robbery, Ayoade Akinnibosun, Ibikunle Ogunleye, Adeola Abraham, Azeez Salawu and Niyi Ogundiran are all standing trial before Justice Haleema Salman of the Kwara state High Court, Ilorin.
The suspected armed robbers also reportedly carted away about N10 million during the attack.
The aggrieved people of Offa, who were at the Government House, Ilorin to urge the Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq to expedite action on the trial of the suspects with a view to serve the victims and their relations with justice, carried placards with various inscriptions.
Some of messages on the placards include “Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, don’t fold your hands. Expedite action on the trial of Offa robbery suspects”, “We need justice on Offa robbery incident”, “The blood of Offa 33 victims is crying”, among others.
Addressing the protesters on behalf of Governor Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, the state attorney general and commissioner for Justice, Barrister Salman Jawondo SAN, said that the case is still pending before a court of competent jurisdiction.
Jawondo, who identified with the pains of the Offa people and especially the relations of the victims, said that no stone would be left unturned until justice is served on the matter.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- FG declares Monday Oct. 10 as public holiday
- 2023: Be careful of politicians’ craftiness– Don warns journalists
- Kogi Assembly seals Dangote Cement factory
- Kwara NUJ holds Ilorin NBA in friendly match to mark 2022 Press week
- Google announces first Cloud Region in Africa
- Kaduna CP warns against extra judicial killings
- Senate moves to make Nigeria manufacturing country
- Senate exits Customs, FIRS, NCC, others from budget
- Senate confirms 19 RECs, NUPRC Executive Commissioner
- Ijara-Isin monarch hails TIC Chairman on birthday occasion