Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike says the Federal Government is not serious about the clean-up of Ogoniland.
The governor stated this when he granted audience to the Senate Committee on Environment on Investigative visit to Ogoniland on Monday.
According to Wike, the Ogoni clean up programme remains a political project aimed at attaining political mileage.
Governor Wike said that the people of Rivers State are tired of procrastination in relation to the execution of the clean up.
“The Federal Government is not serious about the clean up of Ogoniland. We are tired of telling our people that the project will start next year.
“Let it not be a political project. Look at the North East, a commission was established and $1Billion released. “.
He said that the devastation of Ogoniland has impoverished the people by destroying their farmlands and fishing waters.
He regretted that as a state that produces the wealth of the nation, Rivers State has no single motorable Federal Road.
Commenting on the soot, Governor Wike stated that it is a fallout of oil pollution, stressing that people are suffering the health hazards.
Earlier, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Environment, Senator Oluremi Tinubu said the committee was on an oversight visit to ascertain the level of environmental degradation in Ogoniland.
She said that the committee will draw attention to the environmental challenges facing the Ogoni people .
“We are concerned about these issues. We will use face masks when we get to the location. Face masks will draw attention to the message to world on the essence of the clean up “.
- DMO issues 2 FGN savings bonds at N1,000 per unit
- Adamawa Govt. increases 2023 budget to N175bn
- SMEDAN empowers 90 youth with sewing machines, others in Plateau
- Rukaiya Atiku backs husband as ‘only candidate who supports women’
- Eto’o tenders apology over violent conduct
- Atiku visits Ooni, pledges restructuring
- Buhari transmits FCT 2023 Budget to Senate
- Obi has nothing to offer Nigerians says APC
- Morocco win Spain 3-0 on penalty knock out
- Kanye celebrates Saint’s 7th birthday at Kim’s house