The Senator Ahmed Makarfi-led Peoples Democratic Party has said that it has no confidence in the Independent National Electoral Commission .
It also alleged that the commission also played what it described as “suspicious role” in frustrating its candidate in the Ondo State governorship election, Mr. Eyitayo Jegede (SAN), from campaigning for the election.
Spokesman of the party, Prince Dayo Adeyeye, stated this at a press conference in Abuja on Friday.
He alleged that INEC was deliberately working against the interest of the PDP by putting the name of Mr. Jimoh Ibrahim as its candidate in the first place and later refusing to honour PDP’s request for a postponement of the election after the Court of Appeal had affirmed Jegede’s candidacy on Thursday.
Adeyeye, a former minister of state for works, also alleged that the electoral officers who allegedly rigged the election in Edo State were being deployed to Ondo to manipulate the polls.
But the commission has dismissed these allegations, saying that the fears expressed by the PDP were unfounded.
It added that it would adhere strictly to all principles expected in a free and fair election.
The Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of the commission, Mr. Rotimi Oyekanmi, stated this in his reaction to the PDP allegation.
He added that the electoral officers being deployed to Ondo have no tainted records.
He said, ‘In our guideline there is no limit the number of time someone can be used.
“The only thing we can look into if people come out with evidence that the man compromised.
“You can’t question our choice of returning officer. That is our own internal affairs.
- Emir of Ilorin condoles former AMCON chairman, Kola Belgore over wife’s death
- NiMet signs MoU with Sahel Consulting on agricultural improvement
- Buhari responsible for rot in Nigeria– Igboho
- NLC protest action may bring anarchy– TUC
- Former Kwara NUJ secretary, Timothy Nathaniel for burial Feb. 26-27
- Account for toll gate, parking lots fees since 2015, Court orders FAAN
- Adamawa hunters collaborate with Army to fight criminalities
- CSOs urge NASS to probe FG over $3.4billion COVID-19 loan, subsidy savings, others
- ARRANT NONSENSE: MURIC REPLIES MAN WHO SAID REMI TINUBU SHOULD BE KILLED
- JUST IN…. Former NBA national president, emerges as LP guber candidate in Edo