BY MUTSA MURENJE
I’ve gotten up to the news that our dear President Morgan Tsvangirai has passed away.
You can very much imagine the sadness and grief that is associated with a profound loss of this nature. Personally, I am shaken and deeply hurt.
There has been no single individual who has had such a profound influence on my life such as our dear departed leader. When the MDC was formed in September 1999, I was a measly 16-year old boy in Mashonaland Central where I was doing Form 3 at the time.
My interest in politics rose almost instantly because of the kind of leaders the MDC had. Since then, I have been a political zealot with deep faith that the MDC will change our lives for the better.
This is the dream that saw Tsvangirai and others like him sacrifice so much so that we may all be proud of our country again after it had been ruined by the likes of Robert Mugabe and Emmerson Mnangagwa. Tsvangirai has left but the struggle isn’t complete.
He played his part and urged us to unite. Going forward, a suitable replacement is needed and we need to fight the next election as a united party and in honour of all those we have lost and others who bear the scars of this struggle for freedom, justice and democracy.
Sincere condolences to the Tsvangirai family and all democrats who were inspired by the life of Morgan Tsvangirai. May his soul rest in peaceful repose! The struggle continues unabated!
Mutsa Murenje is a PhD researcher at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
- Samuel Eto’o attacks man outside stadium in Qatar
- NBA President shuns call to bar ceremony presided over by Olanipekun
- Media Watch Group Carpets Security Agencies Over ‘State Of The Nation’
- FG developed Lagos, not Tinubu– Atiku
- Chatham House: Atiku group berates Tinubu’s conduct
- Chatham House: Tinubu clarifies his age, paternity
- Why Gov Abdulrazaq will secure second term– Commissioner
- SAD…. Ilorin-born varsity don, Sulyman Gurumoh is dead
- BREAKING…Dogara dumps APC for PDP
- Adeleke commences salary payment, vows to restore good governance