BY MUTSA MURENJE
I’ve gotten up to the news that our dear President Morgan Tsvangirai has passed away.
You can very much imagine the sadness and grief that is associated with a profound loss of this nature. Personally, I am shaken and deeply hurt.
There has been no single individual who has had such a profound influence on my life such as our dear departed leader. When the MDC was formed in September 1999, I was a measly 16-year old boy in Mashonaland Central where I was doing Form 3 at the time.
My interest in politics rose almost instantly because of the kind of leaders the MDC had. Since then, I have been a political zealot with deep faith that the MDC will change our lives for the better.
This is the dream that saw Tsvangirai and others like him sacrifice so much so that we may all be proud of our country again after it had been ruined by the likes of Robert Mugabe and Emmerson Mnangagwa. Tsvangirai has left but the struggle isn’t complete.
He played his part and urged us to unite. Going forward, a suitable replacement is needed and we need to fight the next election as a united party and in honour of all those we have lost and others who bear the scars of this struggle for freedom, justice and democracy.
Sincere condolences to the Tsvangirai family and all democrats who were inspired by the life of Morgan Tsvangirai. May his soul rest in peaceful repose! The struggle continues unabated!
Mutsa Murenje is a PhD researcher at the University of Newcastle, Australia.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
ROYAL NEWS eCopy March 28, 2022
- Dancing Senator, Ademola Adeleke declared as authentic Osun PDP candidate
- Hajj: NAHCON inaugurates, screens medical team
- PHOTO NEWS: Faces at NDC security seminar held in Abuja
- EFCC traces N130m illegal trasnfer into ex-Speaker Patricia Etteh’s account
- FCTA laments influx of beggars from states
- NERC releases update on alleged Tariff increment
- Saraki woos Osun PDP delegates, canvasses support for Adeleke
- PHOTO NEWS: Tinubu visits Kwara, salutes Emir Sulu-Gambari
- Tinubu assures of victory against any PDP candidate
- KWACCIMA pleads with FG to reopen Kwara, Niger borders