Dandeson Jaja, the Paramount Ruler of Opobo town in Rivers, has urged community leaders to develop sports so as to strengthen communal bond.
He made the appeal on Tuesday in Port Harcourt while unveiling the logo for the 5th Opobo Annual Marathon Race.
Jaja said the marathon, which is slated for Jan. 5, will further expose the people’s cultural heritage and economy to potential investors and tourists.
Describing sports as a panacea for unity and development, he expressed satisfaction with the achievements recorded since inception of the race.
“Opobo Marathon is part of a deliberate plan towards promoting peace and showcasing Opobo kingdom to the larger society.
“Over the years, the exercise had attracted many tourists, while also showcasing our natural resources and economy to the people.
“We look forward to a more robust participation in the forthcoming fifth edition as we will provide necessary support for a successful actualisation of the exercise,’ Jaja said.
Speaking earlier at the event, Iyowuna Cookey, the team leader at the logo unveiling, thanked the ruler for supporting the programme.
“The programme has continued to promote tourism and unity amongst youths in the state,” he said.
Cookey assured on his team’s preparedness to make the race’s fifth edition more entertaining and hitch-free as it accommodates more athletes from across the country.
- Election: Close down institutions, allow students vote– Reps to FG
- ICPC re-arrests former JAMB registrar Dibu Ojerinde
- Kwara Assembly approves extension of Acting Auditor-General’s tenure
- Ex-JAMB registrar opened fictitious accounts to conceal his identity– Witness
- No attempt to create conflict between Tinubu, Buhari will succeed – APC
- Lubcon bags West Africa’s best lubricant of year
- NYSC gets 8 new directors, promotes 1,123 others
- Senate confirms ex-I-G Arase as Chairman, Police Service Commission
- Bank customers decry scarcity of new Naira notes at ATMs, POS
- Senate suspends plenary till Feb. 28