Dandeson Jaja, the Paramount Ruler of Opobo town in Rivers, has urged community leaders to develop sports so as to strengthen communal bond.
He made the appeal on Tuesday in Port Harcourt while unveiling the logo for the 5th Opobo Annual Marathon Race.
Jaja said the marathon, which is slated for Jan. 5, will further expose the people’s cultural heritage and economy to potential investors and tourists.
Describing sports as a panacea for unity and development, he expressed satisfaction with the achievements recorded since inception of the race.
“Opobo Marathon is part of a deliberate plan towards promoting peace and showcasing Opobo kingdom to the larger society.
“Over the years, the exercise had attracted many tourists, while also showcasing our natural resources and economy to the people.
“We look forward to a more robust participation in the forthcoming fifth edition as we will provide necessary support for a successful actualisation of the exercise,’ Jaja said.
Speaking earlier at the event, Iyowuna Cookey, the team leader at the logo unveiling, thanked the ruler for supporting the programme.
“The programme has continued to promote tourism and unity amongst youths in the state,” he said.
Cookey assured on his team’s preparedness to make the race’s fifth edition more entertaining and hitch-free as it accommodates more athletes from across the country.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor
- National Assembly’s Clerk, Amos Ojo solicits support for security agencies
- 2022 Olojo: Ooni assures of restoration of Nigeria’s lost glory
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo