Orji, the Senate’s Chief Whip, is serving a 12-year jail term at the Kuje Custodial Centre, Abuja, for looting N7.65billion belonging to the Abia State Government during his eight years in office.
He filed a motion on notice on May 12 at the Federal High Court in Lagos, asking it to set him free.
Justice Mohammed Idris, who convicted Kalu last December 5 while a Justice of the Court of Appeal, will not hear this fresh release bid.
The Nation learnt that the case has been assigned to Justice Mohammed Liman.
Justice Idris convicted the Senator on each of the 39 counts.
- UNILORIN VC seeks upgrade of molecular lab to public health lab
- Naira, Fuel, scarcity take shine off 44th Kaduna International Trade Fair
- I paid ₦1,000 for litre– Oshiomhole laments fuel scarcity, price
- Tems wins Grammy award
- Kwara South Group Drums Support For ADC Reps candidate, Gbenga Power
- Kwara Governor Mourns As Ex-Women Affairs Commissioner Dies In Auto-Crash
- Naira Redesign: How CBN Governor, Godwin Emefiele deceived Buhari— Oshiomhole
- Emir of Ilorin salutes Gov. Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq at 63
- Entrepreneurs count losses over scarcity of new Naira notes
- Buhari has indeed subdued Boko Haram — Buratai