Orji, the Senate’s Chief Whip, is serving a 12-year jail term at the Kuje Custodial Centre, Abuja, for looting N7.65billion belonging to the Abia State Government during his eight years in office.
He filed a motion on notice on May 12 at the Federal High Court in Lagos, asking it to set him free.
Justice Mohammed Idris, who convicted Kalu last December 5 while a Justice of the Court of Appeal, will not hear this fresh release bid.
The Nation learnt that the case has been assigned to Justice Mohammed Liman.
Justice Idris convicted the Senator on each of the 39 counts.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment
- Senate directs NEMA, others to help flood victims nationwide
- Senate hints on Electoral Offences Bill for 2023 elections
- Tstv accepts pay per view model against other stakeholders
- Breaking…. Kwara Gov. makes fresh appointments
- Bill demanding to Legalize Power Rotation stepped down in Senate
- Senate Moves to Whittle Down Powers of CBN Governor