Speaker of the State of Osun House of Assembly, Timothy Owoeye, has promised a speedy passage of the People Living With Disability Bill before the House.
He said in a statement issued in Osogbo on Friday to commemorate the annual observance of the ‘International Day of Disabled Persons’, that the Bill seeks carter to the welfare and well-being of disabled persons.
He said also that the observance of the Day aimed to promote an understanding of disability issues and to mobilise support for the dignity, rights and well-being of persons with disabilities.
Owoeye added that the Assembly sought to increase awareness of the gains derivable from the integration of persons with disabilities in every aspect of political, social, economic and cultural life.
He said the legislature was already working with critical stakeholders to ensure a speedy passage of the Bill.
“When the Bill is passed into law, people living with disabilities will be safeguarded against any form of discrimination and also have equal access to an environment conducive to social and economic development.
“The Bill when passed into law will criminalise all forms of discrimination against people living with disabilities and enforces their rights and privileges to education, healthcare and attention during emergencies,’’ he stated.
Owoeye also promised that the House would set aside a day to host and celebrate people living with disabilities in the state.
- Opinion: Peter Obi and the Obidient’s futile effort faking Sultan’s endorsement
- New Naira Notes: Police begins patrol of banks in Kwara
- Naira redesign: Customers urge CBN to sanction banks not paying N20,000 over the counter
- Fuel scarcity: IPMAN laments inability to source products
- Gov. Akeredolu swears in new chief judge, 4 high court judges
- Two suspects arrested for possessing, selling counterfeit N1000 notes
- Nigerian Actress enters trouble for spraying, stepping on new naira notes
- TINUBU’S CAMPAIGN SHUTS DOWN EKITI, SAYS NOTHING CAN STOP APC’S VICTORY
- 2023: Muslim Media Watch Urges Security Agencies To Fine-Tune Strategies
- IGP orders arrest, prosecution of sellers of new naira note