Akogun Iyiola Oyedepo, President, Nations Leadership Institute has said that politicians should adopt fund-raising to finance their political activities to checkmate moneybags from hijacking political parties.
Oyedepo said this on Monday in a paper delivered at a Workshop on “How to win elections” organised by the institute for candidates contesting in the 2023 General Elections.
In his paper; “Fund-raising for political purpose”, Oyedepo declared that fund-raising for political campaigns is a major instrument for ‘killing’ godfathers in politics.
“Fund-raising democratises politics and ensures that men and women of merit are promoted for elections.
“It should be employed as a new instrument of political freedom and development in all ramifications,” he added.
Oyedepo, a lawyer also advised candidates to explore crowdfunding as another means of raising money for political activities.
He described crowdfunding as a financing method that involves funding a project or idea with relatively modest contributions from a large group of individuals, rather than seeking a substantial sum from a smaller number of individuals.
“Little drops of water make an ocean, crowd funds an idea, project than one or two persons,” he said.
According to him, crowdfunding is a democratic way of financing a party, adding that it creates a sense of ownership and participation.
Oyedepo described crowdfunding as a tool of mobilisation and addressed the issue of godfatherism and dictatorship,
“The greatest problem in fundraising is that people do not do it, they talk about it, they worry about it, they read about it, but they rarely do it,” he added.
Oyedepo said that to effectively organise a fundraising programme, there must be strategic planning, financial planning, programme design, and evaluation.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport
- Ciroma of Ilorin, A.B. Sulu-Gambari, 61 others make final SANs list (FULL NAMES)
- Enugu West: Onyeama lied in affidavit claiming that I’m dead —Okah
- Yobe North: I accept the court judgement — Lawan
- Emir of Ilorin rejoices with Durosinlohun Kawu, Idris Haroon over National Honour Awards
- Senate considers bill to regulate informal sector employment