The Oyo State government says it has approved N9.3 billion for the purchase of 106 new buses for mass transit service in the state.
The state Commissioner for Youth and Sports, Mr Seun Fakorede, stated this while briefing newsmen on the outcome of the 29th weekly state executive council meeting, on Wednesday in Ibadan.
Fakorede, who said that the approval was part of the resolutions reached at the meeting, stressed that transportation was a vital factor in the socio-economic development of any nation.
He added that the development of intercity transportation in the state would greatly assist the mobility of the populace and boost the state’s economy.
The commissioner said that the Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) scheme, as a major transportation system, had been accepted in some cities across the country over the years.
He said that the Pacesetter Transit Scheme was the replica of the BRT system in the state.
Fakorede said that a transport audit conducted revealed that there were limited numbers of functional buses providing services to the people of the state.
He said that the approval for the purchase of the buses would augment the ones already on ground.
Also, the state Commissioner for Budget and Economic Planning, Mr Adeniyi Farinto, said that the state executive council also approved N69 million for the rehabilitation of two link roads at Akobo area of Ibadan.
He said that the project would be executed through direct labour by the Oyo State Transport and Road Management Agency (OYSTROMA).
According to Farinto, the project will be completed within two months.
Contact: [email protected]
- Harry Akande dies at 77
- N100m not paid as ransom to secure release of Chinese — Association
- 18 dead after carbon monoxide leak in China coal mine – Report
- PWDs: CCD urges MDAs in Lagos State to fully implement disability laws
- Air Peace receives another aircraft from C-Check maintenance – Official
- Peace talks: Afghan national reconciliation council holds first meeting
- Ghanaians confident of peaceful general elections
- Ejike Oji wants state govts. to key into FP programmes, develop plan
- Indian minister tests positive after getting COVID-19 vaccine trial dose
- Enugu by-election commences hitch-free, peacefully
- News11 months ago
Army approves cigarettes allowance, N20,000 salary increment for soldiers
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking…Kwara assembly suspends 16 LGs chairmen
- Metro8 months ago
BREAKING…. Kwara govt announces total lockdown in Offa
- Education1 year ago
UNILORIN education faculty emerges best in Nigeria
- Politics11 months ago
Gbemi Saraki finally breaks silence, changes political slogan
- Politics1 year ago
Breaking… Kwara governor appoints Yinka Aluko S A Special Duties
- News2 years ago
Sokoto assembly confirms Gov Tambuwal’s 26 comissioner nominees
- Politics2 years ago
Breaking…GOV. ABDULRAZAQ APPOINTS COMMITTEE ON REVIEW OF SALES OF GOVT PROPERTY (See full names)