Police in Lagos have arrested a 35-year-old pastor, Chris Mordi, of the Miracle of Fires Ministry, Langbasa, Ajah, Lagos, for allegedly propagating hate speech in the state.
The Commissioner of Police in the state, Edgal Imohimi, disclosed this to newsmen, stressing that the suspect was arrested on May 5 at Ado Road, Langbasa area of Ajah in Lagos.
Edgal said that the Pastor was arrested allegedly while in possession of an inciting publication titled: “Beware of Catholic Women Organisation (CWO) and Knights of the Catholic for they are occultic.”
He said that the pastor had invited his church members for a programme where he was to make a public pronouncement on the issue before the publications were intercepted on May 5.
“This is a case of insult to religion and propagation of hate speech which contravene Sections 124 and 168 of the Criminal Laws of Lagos State 2015.
“This should be a lesson to be imbibed by all religious leaders. We must encourage and preach religious tolerance,” he said.
He said that the clergyman would be charged to court for alleged hate speech and religious intolerance.
Meanwhile, 10 traffic robbers who specialise in dispossessing motorists of their valuables at Charity Bus-Stop, Oshodi, were also rounded up by policemen and presented to newsmen.
According to the commissioner, the hoodlums were traced to their hideouts where they were arrested with a toy gun.
He added that the police was working toward arresting other members of the gang and urged victims of traffic robbers to visit the Command and identify the suspects.
He assured that all the suspects would be charged to court.
- PHOTO NEWS: Reception in honour A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN in Abuja
- Adeleke suspends Osun election commission chair, members
- A.B. Sulu-Gambari SAN: Celebrating A Prince In The Silk (PHOTOS)
- HND holders to be employed as assistant lecturers in polytechnics – NBTE
- Naira notes redesign’ll control inflation in Nigeria — Don
- Adeleke directs heads of LGAs to take over from sacked council chairmen
- My son will play for Super Eagles – Oliseh
- Man jailed one year for possessing 101 PVCs in Sokoto
- PVCs, ballot boxes, destroyed after an attack on Ebonyi INEC office
- Gov. Adeleke appoints Chief of Staff, SSG, CPS