Number of Senators elected on the platform of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP in the Senate was further depleted with the defection of Senator Muhammad Hassan Gusau (Zamfara Central)
The number had last year reduced from 44 to 43 when Senator Ishaku Elisha Cliff (Adamawa North), defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, may now become 37 within the week.
Senator Hassan Gusau set the ball rolling at the resumption of the week’s plenary by resigning from the party in a letter read by the President of the Senate, Dr. Ahmad Lawan.
Gusau in the letter, hinged his resignation from PDP on alleged collapse of internal democracy and factionalisation of the party in Zamfara State.
This is aside Senator Peter Nwaoboshi (Delta North), who defected from the party last week which earned him Presidential commendation.
The three other senators waiting at the departure lounge of the party are Senators Lawal Hassan Anka (Zamfara West), Senator Sahabi Ya’u (Zamfara North) and Senator Stephen Odey (Cross River North).
Information however has it that while three out of the remaining four to formally announce their defection on the floor of the Senate, Senator Ya’u may not leave the PDP now.
Sources close to the Senator said being a principal officer as Deputy Minority Whip, he may not want to lose the position for now.
By the time the defections are officially made and carried out in the Senate’ PDP which started with 44 Senators at the beginning of the 9th Senate in June 2019 will have 37 Senators while APC which started with 66 Senators will increase to 71.”
The remaining one seat is occupied by Senator Ifeanyi Ubah (Abambra South) on the platform of the Young Progressives Party, YPP.
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- Buhari to presents 2023 budget to NASS Oct. 7
- Gov. Abdulrazaq, KAMWIRE, Etsu Patigi, others for Kwara NUJ award
- Nigeria/India engages to boost volume of trade, economic activities
- Scandal rocks CCB as commissioners accuse chairman of corruption
- Atala Oil Field: NUPRC under fire in Senate over wrongful re-allocation
- 62 National Day, Sen. Enang urges Nigerians to keep hope alive
- Sheikh Aboto’s death has left another vacuum in dawwah activities— Emir of Ilorin
- KAM Holding CEO rejoices with Abubakar Sulu-Gambari on attainment of SAN rank
- Nigeria-Saudi Chamber of Commerce Will Deepen Countries’ Relations —Minister
- FAAN boss commends increase in passengers traffic at Abuja airport