Senator La’ah’s nomination was contained in a letter addressed to the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, and read on Wednesday at the start of plenary.
The letter, signed by the National Secretary of the PDP, Senator Samuel Anyawu, explained that the nomination of Senator La’ah was against the backdrop of the recent defection of the former Minority Whip, Senator Ibrahim Abdullahi Danbaba (Sokoto South), to the majority All Progressives Congress, APC.
It reads, “We wish to affirm the nomination of Senator Danjuma La’ah (Kaduna South) by the People’s Democratic Party (PDP) Senate Caucus, to fill the vacant seat of the Senate Minority Whip.
“The nomination of Senator Danjuma La’ah follows after the defection of Senator Ibrhaim Danbaba (Sokoto South), the former PDP Deputy Whip to APC.
“Please, kindly accord Senator Danjuma La’ah all necessary cooperation and do also accept the assurance of my esteemed regards.”
Rising under Order 1(b) of the Senate Rules, Senator George Thompson Sekibo (PDP Rivers East), lamented the defection of PDP Senators who occupy the Deputy Whip position.
Two Senators – Senators Emmnuel Bwacha and Ibrahim Danbaba – both of the opposition party and La’ah’s predecessors, resigned their membership of the PDP and defected to the APC.
Ruling on Sekibo’s point of order, the Senate President, Dr. Ahmad Lawan, ruled him out of order, saying that his observation was not in line with the provisions of Order 1(b) of the Senate Standing Orders, 2022 as amended.
He, however, urged the new Deputy Minority Whip to perform his functions to bring about stability and productivity to the Senate.
- 2023 election about competence, not religion– Tinubu Group
- 2023: Osinbajo group endorses Tinubu, receives APC letter of recognition
- Kwara Govt converts Ilorin General Hospital to teaching hospital
- I won’t forget Nigerians if elected, Tinubu vows
- Spectrum Auction will democratize broadband for Nigerians — Danbatta
- Olam, Kwara Govt treat communities on tropical diseases
- Presidential rally: Tinubu’s supporters besiege Teslim Balogun Stadium, Lagos
- Court fines PRP’s presidential candidate, Kola Abiola, for late documents filing
- Two FRSC officers crushed to death by truck in Akwa Ibom
- World cup: Host country Qatar eliminated