Aminat Isah, Abuja
The Federal Government has asked the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to
go the whole hog with its apology to Nigerians by returning all the funds looted from the public treasury under its watch during its 16 years of governance.
In a statement issued in Abuja on Tuesday, the Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, also challenged the party to show the genuineness of its apology through a discernible change of
According to him, ”The PDP presided over an unprecedented looting of the public treasury, perhaps the worst of its kind in Nigeria or anywhere else in the world. Therefore, the best evidence of penitence for such a party is not just to own up and apologize, but to also return the looted funds. Anything short of that is mere deceit.
”Even with the paucity of funds, this Administration has spent an
unprecedented amount of money on infrastructural development and
Social Investment Programme, among others. Returning looted funds will
provide more money for these programmes and make life more meaningful
for Nigerians. There is no better apology than that.”
He also reminded the PDP of the quote: ”If you find yourself in a hole, stop digging,” saying it applies to the PDP at this time.
”PDP, press the reset button. Stop sabotaging the work of this
Administration, which is packing the mess you left behind, through
your reckless statements and unfounded allegations. Play responsible
opposition politics. Put Nigeria’s interest over and above partisan
interest. Temper your desperation to return to power. Spend quality
time in the purgatory and you will be forgiven,” he said.
- Aisha Buhari withdraws case against critic Aminu Mohammed
- INEC announces dates for PVCs collection
- Ronaldo denies reports he swore at Portugal coach over substitution
- Lagos marks International Day of Persons with Disabilities
- Soludo presents appointment letters to 5, 000 newly recruited teachers in Anambra
- Again, INEC office set ablaze in Imo
- No end to fuel scarcity — Oil marketers
- Naira depreciates marginally, exchanges at 445.83 to dollar
- YABATECH suspends ‘students’ week’ over shooting incident on campus
- Again Twitter suspends Kanye’s account for violating rules