by Adedeji Clement
Pele speaking at a Snickers event that saw competition winners from over 20 countries come to Barcelona to play with the legend said in reference to his total career goals record, the three-time World Cup winner said: “Now he has to score more than 1,283 goals!”
Pele says he was happy to see Cristiano Ronaldo overtake his mark for international goals last week, but claims the Real Madrid forward has a long way to go before he can be in his illustrious company.
Ronaldo has been the Champions League highest goal scorer for five consecutive seasons times although he was a joint top scorer with Lionel Messi and Neymar in 2014/15 season.
The Portugal star reached 78 international strikes to surpass the Brazil great’s 77, but the 76-year-old has laid down a challenge for the Madrid ace
Ronaldo hit a hat-trick for Portugal in a 5-1 win over the Faroe Islands in World Cup qualifying on Thursday night to take his international tally to 77, the first of those a spectacular scissor kick early on in the game.
Pele’s 77 Brazil goals came in just 92 appearances, while the former Santos icon also won three World Cups for his country (in 1958, 1962 and 1970). And Ronaldo, who helped his nation bring home the Euro 2016 trophy last year, now has 78 strikes in 145 games for Portugal.
“I saw the goal, It was really special, It was a really nice play.” Pele said.
However, in reference to his total career goals record, the three-time World Cup winner added: “Now he has to score more than 1,283 goals!”
Copyright 2022 ROYAL NEWS. All rights reserved. Digital material on this website, may not be published, reproduced, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without prior express written permission from ROYAL NEWS.
- SAD….Emir of Ilorin mourns late CSO, ASP Adebayo Olowoyo
- Emir Sulu-Gambari celebrates Turaki of Ilorin, Saliu Mustapha at 50
- APC appoints Omole as Director, Diaspora of Campaign Council
- FUT Minna appoints new Vice Chancellor, (Read Profile)
- PDP: Nothern coalition stages protest in Kaduna, says Ayu must resign
- Nigeria Air: FG selects Ethiopian Airlines as preferred bidder
- Buhari urges more private sector participation in humanitarian sector
- COAS tasks retired officers on maximum utilisation of entitlements
- Sulu-Gambari greets Olomu of Omu-Aran, Oba Adeoti at 66
- PDP governors working to resolve party crisis—Tambuwal